Do you want to be a Network Router Designer? Do you want to Design and Implement Network Route rs? What do you need to know/understand?
If you are starting from scratch, it will be a lengthy process. However, if you have gone through a university degree on Computer Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, It may not be that hard for you; in such cases, most probably, you have gone through similar courses that are listed in http://www.justetc.net/knowledge/displayArticle.php?table=Articles&articleID=1292.
An overall understanding of the courses will be required.
Then go through the following and similar resources. Also, know how to select chips for different purposes as will be required for router functionality. Then if you are given the time and resources - hopefully you will be pretty close to designing and implementing network routers.
- Design and Implementation of a Multi-Terabit Optical Burst/Packet Router prototype
- Design of a router for network-on-chip
- Compact Router Speeds Prototype PCB Development
- An Area-Efficient Router for the Data-Intensive Architecture (DIVA) System
- High Speed Router Design
- Router Design:
- SDI Router Design Considerations
- Issues and trends in router design
- Another Resource: Issues and trends in router design
- HDMI/DVI Router Design Based on Mindspeed’s Crosspoint Switches